Sunday, October 24, 2010

Dream BIG!


QUOTE OF THE DAY
: Talent develops in quiet, alone; character is sharpened in the torrent of the world. - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Every November the writing world buzzes with a contest, well, more of a challenge, called NaNoWriMo. It stands for National Novel Writing Month. The challenge is to write a novel in 30 days. Here is the link to their website. And here is a link to another online writer buddy, Lia Mack, who blogs about NaNoWriMo, too.

A 50,000 word novel.

From scratch.

In 30 days.

And while I would love to take on this challenge, my current situation doesn't fit the criteria. I am already working on a novel, and am 15,000 words into it. I don't want to stop that creative flow to get another one going for the challenge. So why don't I take the challenge and just add 50,000 to my current work in progress? Well, that's what I said. But the NaNoWriMo rules state this is not acceptable. The piece you submit must not be started prior to November 1. So I am challenging myself to NaNoCoMo. National Novel Completion Month. I will add 50,000 words to my current novel by November 30. Eek. Did I just say that?

I am excited to get started, scared that I won't complete it and terrified that I just might. Could I actually have the first draft of my new novel completed before Christmas? ABSOLUTELY!

So, there you have it. You've all heard the challenge first. Although I am not able to be a part of the official contest, I am challenging myself to my own kind of contest.

I figure even if I don't succeed, I'm closer to the goal than I would have been otherwise. And that is a positive thing. Always set your goals. And then buckle down and get focused!

I'll keep you posted on the word count!

Happy Sunday everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    That is going to be my goal as well. You, Veronica, Arne and me can all support each other next month.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good Ben! I know we can do it!

    ReplyDelete